Hurricane barrel-shaped, forecast to become Category 3 en route to Caribbean – Orlando Sentinel


Hurricane Barrel became the first hurricane of the season on Saturday as it moved toward the Caribbean in what the National Hurricane Season predicts will be a major hurricane.

As of 11 p.m., the center of the barrel was located 595 miles east-southeast of Barbados with sustained west winds of 20 mph gusting to 85 mph. Hurricane winds extend up to 15 miles and tropical storm winds extend up to 70 miles.

The system formed as a tropical depression on Friday but gained name status late Friday and began intensifying throughout the week.

“The storm has been on a steady strengthening trend since it formed yesterday, and now that its structure is more symmetric and compact, it is facing less wind-supported conditions,” said John, NHC's senior hurricane expert. Looks like it will get a chance to intensify quickly.” Cangialosi “The NHC's new intensity forecast clearly calls for rapid strengthening and shows Barrel becoming a major hurricane before moving across the Windward Islands.”

Hurricane warnings are in place for Barbados, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada, with tropical storm warnings for the islands of Martinique and Tobago and a tropical storm watch for Dominica.

Water levels are expected to rise 5 to 7 feet with large and destructive waves from the storm surge. Rainfall amounts of 3 to 6 inches are expected in Barbados and the Windward Islands Sunday night, and 1 to 4 inches north of parts of southeastern Puerto Rico Monday through Tuesday, and 2 to 6 inches in southern Hispaniola Tuesday through Wednesday. .

Forecasters expect the storm to strengthen to a Category 3 hurricane late Sunday as it moves into the Caribbean, with sustained winds of 125 mph and 155 mph by Monday. Earth is in danger.

It is forecast to remain a major hurricane as it moves over open water south of Puerto Rico and Hispaniola, but then returns to Category 2 as its center approaches Jamaica on Wednesday and heads toward the Yucatan Peninsula. goes

Colorado State University meteorologist Philip Klotzbach said the formation of a hurricane this far east in the Atlantic in June broke a record set in 1933.

He said only two hurricanes on record since 1851 had come within 100 miles of Barbados before August, Hurricane Emily in 2005 and Elsa in 2021.

Tropical scene till 29th June 2024 at 8pm on Saturday.  (NHC)
Tropical scene till 8pm Saturday 29th June 2024. (NHC)

The NHC is also tracking two other systems that have a chance to develop into tropical depressions or cyclones.

On the heels of the barrel in the eastern tropical Atlantic several hundred miles southwest of the Cape Verde Islands is an area of ​​low pressure that produces scattered showers and thunderstorms.

“Atmospheric conditions appear favorable for additional development of this system, and a tropical depression could form by the middle of next week as it moves westward at generally 15 to 20 mph over the eastern and central tropical Atlantic. leads to,” forecasters say.

The NHC gives it a 30% chance of developing over the next two days and a 70% chance over the next seven.

Meanwhile, the remnants of a tropical wave moving across the Caribbean are expected to form a broad area of ​​low pressure over the Gulf of Campeche by early Sunday.

“A tropical depression may form over Mexico early next week before the system moves inland again. Those along the Gulf Coast of Mexico should monitor the system's progress,” forecasters said. said

Heavy rain is expected in parts of Central America and Mexico by early next week.

The NHC gives it a 50% chance of developing in the next two to seven days.

The Atlantic hurricane season began on June 1, but its first named storm, Tropical Storm Alberto, did not develop until June 19. Forecasters with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predict 2024 to be an above-average year with 17 to 25 named storms.

The height of hurricane season traditionally falls from mid-August to October. The season ends on November 30.



Leave a Comment

“The Untold Story: Yung Miami’s Response to Jimmy Butler’s Advances During an NBA Playoff Game” “Unveiling the Secrets: 15 Astonishing Facts About the PGA Championship”