Tests positive for amoebic meningitis at age 14 in Kozhikode. Fourth case in two months


Kozhikode: Another case of amoebic meningoencephalitis, also known as 'brain eater', has been reported in the district, making it the fourth case in two months. A 14-year-old boy from Palikara in Thikkodi was diagnosed with the disease. The condition of the youth under treatment in a private hospital is satisfactory. Doctors said he is responding to medication.

According to reports, the boy was taking a bath in the Kizur Kattumkalam pond recently. He was admitted to the hospital five days ago. Three children – Mridul (12) of Feroke, Dakshina (13) of Kannur and Fadwa (5) of Mannyur in Malappuram – died of amoebic meningoencephalitis in Kozhikode hospitals in the last one-and-a-half months.
Read: Brain-Eating Amoeba Infections in Kerala: Prevention, Symptoms and Treatment

Amoebic meningoencephalitis is caused by a free-living amoeba, a small organism that lives in warm bodies of freshwater. According to the Cleveland Clinic, it enters the human body through the nose or damaged eardrum and can travel to the brain, causing a life-threatening infection within a short period of time. It is not visible to the naked eye. You can only see it under a microscope. Hence it is difficult to detect.

Leave a Comment

“The Untold Story: Yung Miami’s Response to Jimmy Butler’s Advances During an NBA Playoff Game” “Unveiling the Secrets: 15 Astonishing Facts About the PGA Championship”